Monday, October 24, 2011

"I'm More Fit Than A Butcher's Dog"

Hello All,

    I want to first set the scene of what I'm doing at this very moment:

I've just moved to the den to get away from the bowl of cookie dough in the kitchen. Raymond and I are making sugar cookies and I have no self control whatsoever. Raymond is upstairs working on school stuff (cough *nerd* cough) and I'm jamming out to Shane & Shane The one you need. I bought this CD last night thanks to an iTunes gift card. Thank you Carolyn and Scott Morehouse!!

    Now that we have that out of the way...




This post will be about my hysterical Job, Receptionist at the University of St. Andrews Sports Centre. Let me first start out by saying God is Great. He is the only reason I got this job. My co-workers have described me as "lucky" because getting a University job is almost unheard of unless you know someone. I knew no one. If you want to know the long story about how I got this job let me know. It's truly a God intervention story. Starting with I didn't even apply.

      Vocab:
 1. Field - Pitch
 2. Cleats - Boots
 3. Why? - How?

Out of the entire staff there are only two Americans, myself included. I'm the only American that is not a student. This makes for some hysterical  conversations. Let's start with me telling you about Willy, the head grounds keeper. Willy is from Fife and has a thick accent. I find it hysterical because I can not understand one word he says.  I dread it when I answer the phone and it's Willy. I know it's going to take a long time to decipher what he is saying. I tell him constantly that I have no idea what he is saying. When we finally figured each other out I'm laughing hysterically and he tells everyone he has to use his "posh" voice with me. I feel like Willy and I need to come up with some sort of code.

The people that work at the front desk and up stairs are also very entertaining. I have so much fun singing with Gillian and teaching her how to speak "southern". Iain just likes to dance (goofy dance) to whatever is on the radio and talk about his delicate woman hands (don't ask). He's fun.  Joyce tries to teach me how to speak Scottish but it's not sticking. I get made fun of almost everyday for saying y'all. I can't stop saying y'all. It's been in my vocabulary way too long. I promise I'm going to have them saying y'all in no time. I still can't speak in a Scottish accent unless it's a line from Shriek.

Locked IN:



One thing that happens constantly is people locking each other into closets. If the person is smart enough to carry their phone with them they call me and I decide if they should be let out or not. (usually I let them out) The favorite is locking people in the boiler/laundry room. Its loud, hot, and people are easily trapped in. I always carry a key in with me. I will not be fooled. (well I have not been fooled yet)

BLOOD:


Sports Injuries happen, and I'm there to be weirdly interested/grossed out by them. Grossest things I've seen:

  1. Eyeball bleeding - basketball
  2. Ear/head bleeding A LOT- rugby. This was really disturbing b/c the guy kept fainting
  3. Teeth knocked out- this happens a lot.
  4. Black eyes- happens all the time in boxing


Annoying:

I get hit on by students. I let them know that I'm way older than them and married. It was flattering at first, now it's just annoying. One poor kid hit on me and then pretended to make a business call. Something about 50 million barrels? He kept looking up at me to see if I was listening and I kept giggling at his efforts to impress. He keeps asking when I work and hangs around reception. That poor kid.

Pictures of the Sports Centre





The equipment is amazing the facility is outdated and in desperate need of a face lift.

Dundee United is the football team that train at our facilities. Everyone there knows I'm hopeless when it comes to knowing about any european sport. I know nothing about: Netball, Korfball, Cricket, or Rugby to name a few, but I'm learning!

tootles

MB


No comments:

Post a Comment